Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Great-Grandmother, Ruth Stemm

I wanted to share with you all this booklet cover that Ruth Stemm (Morgan) designed the artwork for. The pamphlet describes how to make a necklace using Collingbourne's String. The booklet art was handled by Virginia Snow Studios, so we don't know if she was a contractor or an employee. The image below is an un-retouched scan, 1800 pixels wide and suitable for having professionally printed. If you would like a  cleaned-up version, let me know.
EDIT: For whatever reason blogger isn't displaying the size correctly. I decided the easiest way to deal with this was to just create a page on my own website. This is the spot for a larger, printable version!

Ruth Stemm's Signature is on the bottom right.



Below is a newspaper clipping about her, which shows her illustrating while Mary and William Bruce Jr. play around her. Interestingly, Mother Mary's middle name is listed here as "Lou." Perhapes Lura was too strange for the newspaper guy? Or, perhaps that's what called they her when she was little.
Clipping sent to Ana from her Uncle William Bruce, Jr.



Below is a cropped picture from the 1925 Morgan family reunion showing Ruth. I will post the larger picture when I discuss the Morgans a bit more.
Ruth Stemm-Morgan, 1925    



Here is another pic sent by William Bruce Jr. of Ruth. The picture is undated, but looks to be around 1950.



EDIT:  I also forgot the include the 1930 census for the Morgans. What is so interesting is that my g-grandfather (W.B. Morgan) is listed as the one with the advertising occupation, and Ruth is listed as having no job. When I told this to my mom, Ana, she was shocked and amused because family lore has it that my g-grandfather did NOT work. She and I both thought this might have been a cover so that few found out she was working in this era of homemakers. Funny though, they do not list any servants and are renting their house. This would not imply the $$$ and stature that we thought was there. I'm just glad that we have some scrap of her artwork and that we can know we come by our creative drives honestly! Here is a link to the larger copy of the 1930 census.

Line 75 is the Morgan's entry.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new blog. I will certainly follow your posts here. And look foward to learning more about our Morgan ancestors and cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful pictures. Congratulations and best wishes from another Morgan cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Bruce told me his father (W.B.) was in advertising but lost his business during the Great Depression, and that was when his wife Ruth went to work as an illustrator to support the family. He also said they were NOT wealthy, but the kids around them often were. They did have a nanny, however, but I think that was in large part due to Ruth being at work and W.B. not being a care-giver type. There was an uncle of theirs who was quite wealthy, a partner in a major department store in Chicago (Block and Kuhl?) He and his wife had no children and left their estate to Mary, Bruce, and Diane. FWIW

    ReplyDelete