Wednesday, October 27, 2010

More Weills

 
This a picture of Monroe "Beau" Weill. He was (is?) the son of Lawrence and Gertrude Weill. He was a contemporary of Ernest A. Weill III, and this is possibly a pic of him before shipping off to WWII. His name does not appear when I search for WWII veteran info, which may mean he's still alive. I have no birth or death dates for him or his parents. 

I do know that his father was Ernest A. Weill II's brother. Together with the third brother  (Joseph) they ran an insurance company in Owensboro, KY. I cannot find any trace of this company and do not even know the name of it. According to Ana, Joseph and Lawrence both remained Jewish, while my g-grandfather, EAWII, distanced himself religiously, and eventually left the insurance company. Jesse (Glenn) Weill also worked there briefly as a secretary. The couple were teased "mercilessly" by Joseph and Lawrence.

Chessie or Josephine or Grampere cared enough about this man to save his picture and his badges from his army uniform (can you tell which one got worn?) Yet, I and my family know nothing about him. Anyone have any info on this cousin?


4 comments:

  1. Beau moved to California and had a family. He died early, around '63 or '64. I vaguely remember visiting them a few years before that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I don't know if you still follow this blog but I can give you more info on Monroe. He did ultimately move to California, had 4 boys with his wife Christine. One of those boys was my father, also named Beau. Sadly both Monroe and Beau died early from a disease called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion (50% of offspring inherit this). I suspect Ernest died from this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were his parents Lawrence and Gertrude Weill?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they were. My grandpa "Bo" Weill was a pilot and I believe his rank was colonel or Lt. Colonel. He became an oil executive in LA, built and lived in houses on the Long Beach Peninsula. He was a good woodsman, bringing home venison with bows and arrows he made himself. He Married my grandmother Christine Randolph and they were a boating family. Big boats in the Long Beach harbor. He had four children: in order, Lawrence (my uncle Larry), Beau (Described above by my cousin Beau), Doug (my Dad), and my uncle Steve who lives in remote Idaho. My Dad would probably love to correspond with you (I would too) because he has a very detailed genealogical history of his Weill family, up to and beyond his Grandfather Lawrence Weill with pictures and for sure it will overlap with this one.. His email is bigweill@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete